Guest Post By Nikki Sharp
Clean Diet and Healthy Lifestyle
There’s nothing worse than kicking off your clean diet, healthy lifestyle and having to give up all-things-crappy and thinking that you are no longer allowed to have anything that actually satisfies you. This is at least the biggest myth that I’ve found when I speak to people about healthy living: they assume that it means no good food.
Raw Cranberry Cheesecake
Can I just take a brief moment and tell you that I’m about to rock your world?! My raw cranberry cheesecake is so unbelievably tasty and satisfying and I promise will make you re-think those words ‘diet’ and ‘healthy’ living. This raw cake means no baking, which is why it nourishes your body!
When we heat our foods, we break down the nutrients in the things we eat, rendering them not-as-good for us. Food is a living thing, our bodies are living things, so when we kill our food (i.e. heating it) we are essentially putting dead nutrients into our body. This cake has all things living, bursting with essential vitamins and nutrients and will satisfy any sweet tooth! It is full of essential fats both from the sunflower seeds and the coconut oil as well as vitamin C from the lemon and helps to reduce inflammation from the honey plus cider vinegar, which is used in the topping. Just remember, this is a dessert so it’s not to be eaten every day! But it is a wonderful alternative to your cakes you buy at the shop that have been loaded with salt, sugar, preservatives and sometimes chemicals!
For an added tip
To activate your nuts, making them easier to digest in your body and releasing more nutrients I’d recommend soaking them overnight. If you’d like to dehydrate them to make them crunchy again that’s fine, however it’s not totally needed (I do recommend soaking them though).
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil
- Pinch of Himalayan pink sea salt
- (Add 1 or 2 dates if needed to bind the crust)
- 200g coconut cream (similar to coconut milk but with less water, hence creamier. Can be found with the coconut milk in stores)
- 2 tbsp macadamia nuts (however I would personally change this to soaked cashews next time)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp honey
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp frozen cranberries
- 12 pitted dates
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 small lemon, squeezed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp water
- Mix all ingredients from the crust in your food processor for a few minutes until it creates a dough.
- Press into your spring tin or mini cupcake holders (I did both). You can leave out or put in freezer while making the cake portion.
- Add all ingredients for the main portion into your processor and blend until a whipped cream texture is created. Add to your crust.
- Add all topping ingredients into a blender or food processor until a liquid is created and the dates are fully incorporated. Drizzle on top of the cake layer.
- Top with additional fruit (I used cranberries and a tiny bit of matcha powder) and either serve as is or freeze for 2-4 hours until the cake portion has set. It shouldn’t be too firm when you serve it (although I tried it straight out of the freezer and it was fine!)
All that’s left is “Enjoy!”
About Lucy Bee Limited
Lucy Bee is concerned with Fair Trade, ethical and sustainable living, recycling and eating close to nature with additive free products for health.