Healthy Snacking – A Busy Mum’s Guide
As a busy, working mum, I am always out and about. In fact, rushing around like a headless chicken is pretty much my job description.
When I’m not racing around here, there and everywhere meeting potential new clients, I’m usually up to my elbows in nappies, bath water or completely splattered with baby food.
If not, you’ll find me cornered by dribbly, gummy babies, all wanting to suck my shoulder or give me a slobbery kiss.
Glamorous, my life most definitely is not. Instead, it is simply hectic, exhausting, and very, very lovely.
Yet however busy I am, and however exhausted I am come the evening, one thing I always have to find the time for is making healthy snacks. Yes, really.
Food on the go.
Having food on the go (usually to be found stuffed in my handbag, getting squished beneath a mountain of receipts, make-up and baby toys) is a must for me.
You see, I’m a bit of a greedy guts and always get hungry when I’m out. I need something close-to-hand which stops me from reaching for the nearest vending machine or chocolate bar. I also need something that will boost my energy and keep me going long into the night.
Of course, having bags of nuts and seeds or protein bars stuffed in my purse are great, but don’t you find them to be extortionately priced? For me, the cost quickly mounts up when you’re scoffing back handfuls of almonds, or chomping down two protein bars a day.
So, what do you do instead?
Luckily, I have managed to whip up this fantastic recipe for Energy Bites, which will keep me going for hours. Just stash in a small container, pop them in your handbag, and you’re golden!
Better still, my sweet-toothed son absolutely adores them – the whole family simply can’t get enough. If I’m at home and don’t need to worry about them melting, then I enrobe these Energy Bites in a dark chocolate (min. 70% cocoa) coating. But if I’m going to be out, I just leave them plain – they still taste great!
Fancy having a go? Then just follow this simple recipe and enjoy:
- 200g creamy peanut butter (I use natural)
- 2-3 tbsp honey or agave
- 2 tbsp Lucy Bee Coconut Oil
- 100g rolled oats
- 4 tbsp flax seed
Added extras (all optional):
- Handful raisins
- Handful chopped dates / apricots
- Handful sugar-free dark chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
- Sprinkling of cinnamon
- Splash vanilla extract
For the topping:
- Dark chocolate / cocoa to roll (both optional)
1) In the microwave, melt together the peanut butter, honey and coconut oil in 20 second blasts until combined (around one minute).
2) Stir the rolled oats and flax seed into the peanut butter mixture, then throw in your choice of added extras and mix well.
3) Roll the mixture into balls. If the mix is too sticky, then stir in more oats or flax.
4) If you want to roll the energy bites in chocolate or cocoa powder, then go for it! If not, enjoy just as they are.
All the best,
Find out more about Sam by visiting I AM INTO THIS.
About Lucy Bee Limited
Lucy Bee is concerned with Fair Trade, ethical and sustainable living, recycling and eating close to nature with additive free products for health.