Guest Post by David Novak
The popularity of coconut oil as the new superfood has been growing immensely over the years. This is because of the countless health benefits it provides inside and out. Coconut oil has been discovered to be beneficial in skin and hair care, and most manufacturers of skin and hair products are using this essential oil as a base ingredient. It’s an ideal food for both health and beauty, making it a must have item in every household.
Everyone wants to have soft and smooth skin. Many choose to rely on cosmetics and skin care products made from synthetic ingredients, while others choose those that are organic and natural. Coconut oil is one of the most organic products around, and it has a lot of benefits when it comes to skin care. These include:
- Soothe dry skin – Coconut oil helps in improving moisture and lipid content in the skin. The skin can easily absorb coconut oil, keeping it soft and moist.
- Natural body moisturizer – It helps in reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by keeping the connective tissues strong and supple. It also assists in skin exfoliation by softening dead skin cells for easier removal, making your skin smoother.
- Controls body odor – Coconut oil can also be used as a natural deodorant because of its antibacterial properties.
- Natural makeup remover – It can also be used as a makeup remover that even works for waterproof mascaras. It also leaves your skin hydrated after makeup removal.
- Skin protection against bacteria and fungi – Acne and other skin problems are caused by blockages of hair follicles that may promote bacterial growth if not treated. Coconut oil is one of the few oils that doesn’t clog pores, making it one of the best remedies for pimples. It contains lauric acid and capric acid, which have been proven effective in acne treatment.
Coconut oil is one of the best organic products that provides numerous benefits when it comes to hair care, and most hair products available in the market today use this as a base ingredient. It helps in protecting and moisturizing the scalp, leading to a healthier hair growth. Here are some benefits of coconut oil for hair:
- Shield hair protein – Coconut oil contains fatty acids that bind to the protein in hair, protecting both roots and strands against breakage. It also contains lauric oil, which is more beneficial to hair than any other mineral oil. Hair may get weak and unhealthy due to protein loss, but coconut oil revitalizes these proteins for both damaged and undamaged hair. Researchers have found out that coconut oil is the only oil that has this effect on hair protein.
- Seals in moisture – Coconut oil also helps in retaining moisture, which is necessary for well-nourished and strong hair. Coconut oil also protects the hair against environmental impurities and excess heat by going deep into the hair shaft and follicles. It also keeps hair shiny and silky.
- Acts as a deep-conditioner – Coconut oil helps in conditioning the scalp and hair strands, keeping it lustrous and healthy. It also prevents hair breakage and split ends, which is common for dry hair.
- Improves blood circulation – By massaging the scalp using coconut oil, it helps in improving the blood circulation in the scalp, as well as boosting the nutrient and oxygen delivery to the hair. This adds to the luster and softness of hair.
- Nutrient provider – With all the natural nutrients and antioxidants found in coconut oil, it delivers these needed nutrients right into the scalp, stimulating healthy hair growth. Coconut oil is also rich in vitamin E, K and iron, which are known to effectively eliminate dandruff and hair damage.
- Provide antifungal and antibacterial properties – Hair and scalp are prone to high bacterial content because of being exposed to environmental impurities, but coconut oil is an effective remedy in dealing with this issue. It helps in protecting hair and scalp against dandruff and lice, which impedes healthy hair growth.
- Inhibits hair loss – Coconut oil also aids in slowing down hair loss by keeping the scalp and hair follicles in their healthiest, organic condition.
A Note From Lucy,
Thank you David for a very useful post about Coconut Oil and it’s benefits for the skin and hair. If you would like even more tips, for hair and skin follow me on Twitter!
About Lucy Bee Limited
Lucy Bee is concerned with Fair Trade, ethical and sustainable living, recycling and eating close to nature with additive free products for health.